How to Bend Properly
Bending properly can help you avoid back strain and injury. Here are some tips for proper bending:
· Don't stand with your feet together, but instead keep them shoulder-width apart.
· Flex (bend) at the hips and knees, not at the waist.
· Pull in your abdominal muscles and tighten your quadriceps (thigh muscles).
· Keep your spine straight — don't try to tuck your buttocks under.
· Place a hand on a wall or fixed heavy object, such as a desk for support, if needed.
If you need to bend all the way to the floor:
· Lower yourself to 1 knee. If needed, place 1 hand on a sturdy, stable object to steady yourself as you move downward.
· Rest an arm on the raised knee.
· Bend at the hips and knees, but not at the waist, to get closer to the floor.
· Don't round your shoulders or hunch your back or neck.