A Safer Way to Get Out of Bed
Something as simple as getting out of bed properly can help to ease strain on your back and prevent injury. Follow these steps to protect your back when you get out of bed:
· Move yourself close to the edge of the bed while still lying on your back.
· Bend your knees upward and flatten your feet on the bed.
· Roll onto your side closest to the edge of the bed, keeping your knees together. Keep your shoulders in line with your hips — don't twist your spine as you roll.
· Once you're on your side, use both hands to push yourself up into a sitting position. Let the weight of your legs swinging to the floor help you move.
· When you're sitting up, take a moment to rest and take deep breaths, if needed, particularly if you're feeling lightheaded.
· When you're ready to stand up, lean forward. Use your legs and arms to push yourself up to a standing position. Tighten your stomach muscles to help keep your back straight.
· Once you're standing, straighten both of your legs at the same time.